Monday, March 27, 2006

She Moved Through The Fair


My young love said to me my mother won't mind
And my father won't slight you for your lack of kind
And she laid her hand on me and this she did say
It will not be long now 'til our wedding Day

And she went away from me, she moved through the fair
And fondly I watched her move here and move there
And then she went onward, just one star awake
Like the swan in the evening moves over the lake

The people were saying no two e'er were wed
But one had a sorrow that never was said
And I smiled as she passed with her goods and her gear
And that was the last that I saw of my dear

Last night she came to me, my dead love came in
So softly she came her feet made no din
And she laid her hand on me and this she did say
It will not be long now 'til our wedding day


There is just something about this particular Irish folk song that sends a shiver up my spine and makes me get misty eyed. Such a sense of longing and loss. And the tune itself is haunting, even without vocals it invokes the very same feelings. Many artists have covered this folk song of unknown origin (which adds to its mystery), and one of the most haunting versions was an instrumental done by Mike Oldfield in the Celtic album Voyager. It gets to me everytime.

No comments: