Thursday, August 24, 2006

World Peace

And so dimunitive Pluto loses its planet status after 75 years. In a rather dramatic twist in where astronomers gathered in an unprecedented event to reclassify celestial objects, originally intending for the solar system to extend its planetary family to twelve, the debate came to a bitter end for Pluto supporters after it failed to adhere to new guidelines that defines what a planet is. Personally, I am a bit disappointed at this piece of news myself but mostly because I am more a traditionalist rather than a revolutionist. Most of the time I prefer things to stay as they are, though I would agree to scientists' views that Pluto's eccentricities does put Pluto's planethood into question. Anyway, this entry is not really about astronomical news, but rather some global issues that I am interested in.

Some of my friends would know I am not too fond of politics. Sean once guessed right when he said that I'd probably don't give a rat's arse about what is going on in the Middle-East. Well ok, those weren't his exact words but it would be close, which he, in any case was right. My opinion on the whole Middle-East crisis can be summed up in my rather destructive and genocidal proposal. Nuke the whole God forsaken region. I think the world could do better without an Israel, or Palestine, or Lebanon, or whatever troublemaking country is located within that area. Frankly speaking, those nations are like a pimple on the face of the Earth. Turn the whole region into a nuclear holocaust and hey, nothing more left to dispute over right?

Issues that perk my interests usually what I would term as the "underdog issues" - issues that mostly taken for granted or overlooked. Issues like global warming, archaeology, animal extinction etc. I mean take the whole Katrina thing, while others are more concerned about human side of the tragedy I was more concerned about the pets that were left to fend for themselves in the aftermath of the tragedy. An estimated 2000-3000 animals died in the tragedy, compared to the paltry sum of human lives lost. I'm sorry if I have total disregard for human life, but I agree with Agent Smith (of The Matrix) that humans are like viruses - they infect their host (in this case, Earth) and eventually destroy it.

Don't start to hate me yet, I do not disregard human issues altogether. For instance I am quite a follower of the Dalai Lama's activities. Generally I am concerned that when he finally dies, there would not be another Dalai Lama. The present Tenzin Gyatso had once suggested that when he eventually passes on, perhaps he would not return (Lamas believe in continuous reincarnation to help humanity towards the path of enlightenment), or either that, choose not to be reborn within Chinese Territory. Which makes sense, since the greedy Chinese government would take advantage to name their own successor to achieve their own ends. They already did that with the Panchen Lama, who traditionally plays the role of recognising the successor to the Dalai Lama and vice versa. So since the current Panchen Lama is nothing more than a Chinese puppet, the future of the next sucessor will probably be in jeopardy.

See, I am not really a beauty queen after all. Don't bother trying to discuss about gay rights issues with me though. I might be gay, but I am not much of a supporter when it comes to this cause. In fact I am pretty much against it. For simple reasons that I don't think that gay community has earned the respect they have been clamouring for. I think gay pride events are nothing more than a huge tasteless joke which I am all too eager to distance myself from. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of respectable gay people out there, I just don't think the majority of them are doing the right thing to warrant respect from the rest of society.

2 comments:

thompsonboy said...

who cares about world peace when I am still single? bleh!

savante said...

How dare they take away my planet :P

ScorpioPaul